April 7, 2020
As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread globally, Leon County Emergency Management is committed to actively monitoring the disease and coordinating preparedness efforts with local health officials, healthcare providers, first responders, and other critical emergency response functions.
The following update provides a timely, accurate, and vetted source of official County and community information.
Significant Changes since Last Update
- COVID-19 by the Numbers. Turning to our public health update, global cases of COVID-19 surpassed 1.4 million. According to the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) there are 68 positive cases of COVID-19 in Leon County. In Florida, there are now 14,504 positive cases of COVID-19, and 283 COVID-19-related deaths. These numbers are updated regularly by FDOH; visit the dashboard for more detailed information, here.
- Learning from home with the MagLab. The online Magnet Academy from the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory features demonstrations, videos, activities and other educational content for students of all ages. To explore the wide world of electricity and magnesium, visit the Magnet Academy.
- On Monday, April 6, Governor DeSantis issued Executive Order 20-95. The order, backdated to April 3, suspended taxation on federally-backed loans to small businesses. By suspending taxation during the pandemic, small businesses receive additional economic relief to keep employees on their payrolls. For more information about the executive order, click here.
- The Department of Economic Opportunity continues to increase the capacity of its Reemployment Assistance Program. Over the weekend, DEO rolled out paper applications, available here, and further improved their website to handle traffic-related issues so as to better assist Florida residents.
- Florida is maintaining a FAQ about essential services established in the Governor's safer at home order.
- To view the State of Florida's FAQ on the order, click here.
- Leon County Social Distancing Graphic goes Global. Since Thursday, more than 121 TV news outlets across the country, including The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, have shared our social media gator graphic promoting physical distancing.
Click below to access more COVID-19 information:
As you may have noticed, we are no longer including the entire community update in this message. Instead, we have organized all of the information from previous community updates in a COVID-19 Information Portal. Below you will find the content available on the portal.
Continue to follow www.LeonCountyFL.gov/eip for any local updates or changes to services.
Link to original article