Rick Minor currently serves as the 2019-2020 Vice Chairman and was elected to the Leon County Board of County Commissioners in August 2018 and took office in November. He represents the citizens of County District 3 and is focused on reducing crime, growing our economy by helping businesses bring quality jobs to District 3 and the County, protecting the environment, and ensuring that our local government performs at the highest ethical standards.
In addition to his role on the County Commission, Rick also serves as the Chief Executive Officer of our region’s nonprofit food bank. During his tenure, the food bank’s distribution has grown by nearly 50%, providing more than 8.5 million meals annually to local families and individuals struggling with hunger. The food bank coordinates with more than 130 agency partners across the Big Bend region -- churches, schools, and other nonprofits -- to serve about 55,000 people each month.
Rick is also the former Chief of Staff to the Mayor’s Office at Tallahassee’s City Hall. In that role, he was responsible for managing both the Mayor’s Office and the City’s involvement in various projects such as Local Business Saturday, Choose Tallahassee, and the DeSoto ‘America’s First Christmas’ site. Rick also functioned as the City’s intergovernmental and legislative liaison, advocating for federal and state policies that benefited Tallahassee's residents and businesses.
Throughout his career, Rick has developed public policy for state and local governments and he has also spent a great deal of time in the private sector, running the financial operations of a small business, managing accounts and making payroll for employees.
In addition, Rick spent nearly a decade as a business and information technology consultant, working on numerous private and public sector projects throughout the United States as well as in Germany, Hong Kong, Canada, South Africa, and Denmark.
Rick is a native Floridian with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business. He has also earned a Master in Public Administration from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. Rick and his wife Jessica are the proud parents of two young daughters, Madeline and Charlotte.
Community Involvement, Honors and Distinctions:
- Co-Founder and President of Tallahassee Music Week, Inc. (2013-2017)
- Leader of the Year Finalist, Leadership Tallahassee’s annual Distinguished Leadership Awards (2015)
- Community Catalyst, Knight Creative Communities Institute (2013 – 2015)
- Executive Committee Member / Contest Coordinator, Choose Tallahassee (2011 – 2014)
- Most Creative Fundraising Campaign, United Way of the Big Bend (2013)
- Chair / Employee Campaign Coordinator, City of Tallahassee’s United Way of the Big Bend Fundraising Campaign (2012 – 2013)
- Board Member / Membership Chair, Tallahassee Citizens’ Police Academy Alumni Association (2008 – 2011)
- Leadership Tallahassee, Class 26 (2008)
- Honoree for Contribution to Community Service, C.K. Steele Scholarship Foundation (2008)
- Board Member, The Tallahassee-Leon County Shelter (2007 – 2009)
- Project Management Professional Certification, Project Management Institute (1998-2001)